Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Winner!! :: "Good Day" - Ice Cube :: Best early 90's throw-back hip-hop

Your votes are in, and it was a close race (see poll to the right). Victorious by 1 vote was "Good Day" by Ice cube. While many of you mentioned that the competition was fierce, and the full Ice Cube catalog does not quite compare to the likes of Tupac, Tribe, or Pharcyde, it seems this track holds a special place in the annals of hip-hop history.
According to the source of all sources (Wikipedia!!), Ice Cube commented on the concept behind the song stating, "The inspiration was my life at the time ... I was at the top of the rap game. It was the summer of ’92 and I was in a hotel room, really in a state of euphoria. I had all the money I had dreamed of. I was in a good frame of mind. And I remember thinking, ‘Okay, there’s been the riots, people know I will deal with that. That’s a given. But I rap all this gangsta stuff – what about all the good days I had?" While the original version blew my mind with that Isley Brothers "Footsteps in the Dark" sample, my good friend Tijana reminded me how awesome the "Good Day (Remix)" is. So, in honor of the winning track, here is the remix for y'all (courtesy of my Bootlegs and B-sides CD from 1994 !!) And here is the Isley Brothers hit used on the original:

No comments:

Post a Comment