Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Tricky Turtle", "Get Your Regal On", & "Lost & Lookin' (Remix)" - Blockhead

If y'all are not into super-chilled-out instrumental hip-hop already, prepare to change your mind. I present to you Blockhead (AKA Tony Simon), a NYC-based producer who came to prominence in the indie/underground hip-hop scene in the 90's, most noticeably due to his collaboration with MC Aesop Rock. Since then Blockhead has focused his energy on solo instrumental albums which showcase his skills at weaving together obscure horn riffs, analog sounds, and soulful vocal samples into lo-fi tapestries of head-nodding goodness. The results of his work seem so mellow and simple, but a second listen reveal the complexity of his craft. Yes, I may seem to be on his jock (musically speaking, that is), and this isn't far from the truth. But my appreciation for Tony's music stems from the fact that I actually have become friends with the guy. He was smart enough to start dating a wonderful and long-time friend of mine (well played, sir) so now I get to crash on their couch when I visit NYC. Beyond his work, the guy is a very cool and gracious dude. He has a disturbingly funny sense of humor and is unassuming in his celebrity, both of which I appreciate. Oh, and he is super fun to talk music with. Tony, if you are reading this don't get a big head. Im just fluffing you up so you will accept hosting me on my next visit so we can do that whole dancing-and-drinking-til-5.am.-eating-pizza-passing-out-on-your-couch once again. Alright, about this "Get Your Regal On" track...Have you ever had one of those wonderful days where you are strutting around your city/town, feelin' good, sun shining down on your back, walking tall? Ever wish you had a soundtrack for your life at that moment? Well, I'll be damned if this isn't one of the best songs for that moment that I have heard. As a final note, I highly recommend you check out the "Lost & Looking (Remix)" track found here:::: http://www.myspace.com/theblockishot

No comments:

Post a Comment