Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Dreamin","The Vent" & "Children of The World" - Big KRIT

How many of you have heard (or believe) the complaint that there is just no good new hip-hop anymore? I'm sure most of us would agree that there certainly is an overabundance of lack-luster rap nowadays. Especially coming from mainstream sources. In my opinion, though, a handful of artists in the past few years still have me holding on to my love for hip-hop. The problem is that it is sometimes hard to find the gems that represent the best of what the genre has been and could be.

I had the idea for this site while talking about this with my buddy Evan out in Oakland. He's the guy I always talk to when I need something new to nod my head to, so I was not surprised I absolutely love his first recommendation for AudioIn-AudioOut, Big K.R.I.T.

Big K.R.I.T. (King Remembered in Time) is an MC and producer hailing from Meridian, Mississippi. He was a featured artist in this years XXL Freshman Class and, following the significant critical acclaim he received for the content and quality of his mix-tape, "Return4Eva", K.R.I.T. was recently signed to Def Jam. His highly anticipated first full studio album, "Live From the Underground" is due to be released at the end of the month.

K.R.I.T.'s content and production (which he does himself) create thought provoking tracks with heavy, sparse beats that accentuate rhymes deep on lyrical imagery of the struggles and aspirations of life in the American South. Nothing but true poetry here, a sterling example of how at its best hip-hop can be artistically complex and emotionally powerful. I heard these songs for the first time a few weeks ago and have had them on a consistent repeat cycle ever since. Love 'em.

If you fancy yourself a fan of great hip-hop and quality lyricism I would like to know if you agree. Or not. Either way, take a minute or two to listen to (and hopefully enjoy) something new.









No comments:

Post a Comment