Search This Blog

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Passing of a Legend: Dave Brubeck (December 6, 1920 – December 5, 2012)


The world said goodbye to a musical icon yesterday when Dave Brubeck, the legendary jazz pianist and composer, passed away due to heart failure a day before his 92nd birthday. The outpouring of admiration and commemoration going on right now in honor of his life is a profound, worldwide, and appropriate tribute to a man that has consistently revolutionized his art form from the moment he formed The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1951 to his recordings and tours as recent as 2011.

With a life of creativity spanning so many years, I am at a bit of a loss to know what to say about this wonderful musician. In truth, when I first heard of Brubecks' death I thought of my father. It was my dad who gave me a CD of Time Out when I was in middle school. It was my dad who took my sister and I to see Brubeck live at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. a few years later. Brubecks' music was a constant in our home. These events had a deep impact on my life. They inspired me to play music, to try and emulate the greatness I was being exposed to. I became obsessed with "Take Five", and as a young saxophonist I went a bit crazy with pride when I finally mastered Paul Desmonds' iconic melody from that track. Like many people I interpret this loss through my personal experience, which brings floods of memories, sadness, and joy. I hear this music and it makes me smile. It's so mysterious, captivating, and above all, beautiful.

Below you will find 6 videos of my favorite Brubeck songs from performances in the 60's, 90's, and 2000's. I also posted a few brief interviews with Brubeck from over the years. I love hearing the man talk about his art, and his motivations behind it. I hope those of you that are familiar with Brubeck, and those of you who are not, can take a minute to check these out. Rest in peace, and thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment