Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Artist to Watch: Michael Kiwanuka


My buddy David recently suggested I check out Michael Kiwanuka, an emerging Soul artist from England. Kiwanuka has had a whirlwind couple of years, going from session guitarist, to playing with Adele in her 2011 tour, to now breaking through as a solo artist. He released two EP's in 2011, Tell Me A Tale and I'm Getting Ready, and released his debut full-length album, Home Again, earlier this year. His music is near-perfectly arranged into crisp songs that serve as a vehicle for Kiwanuka's beautifully poignant voice. Kiwanuka's music has that great musical quality, like an Aretha Franklin or Bill Withers, to draw any listener in and put smiles on faces. I think the only complaint I have is that, like those other artists, a number of his songs seem about a minute too short.

Check out a beautiful acoustic version of "I'm Getting Ready", "Home Again", and "Tell Me A Tale".





No comments:

Post a Comment