Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

New Wave Rock :: Vote on your favorite (to the right)!!


A few months back a friend of mine sent me a link to an amazing live clip of The Talking Heads playing "This Must be the Place (Naive Melody)". I have probably watched the video 100 times since, due to my love of the song, the vibe, and the incredible style on display. It got me thinking about some of my earliest pop-music experiences of the 80's, when my sister would fill the house with New Wave hits by the Eurythmics, Men at Work, and The Talking Heads, among others. Steeped in Mod culture, synthesized sound, disco influences, glitter, copious amounts of eye-liner and a healthy dose of androgyny, New Wave was a drug-addled futuristic glimpse into experimental music. The cultural impact of this sub-genre is even more noticeable nowadays, as modern indie-pop acts increasingly revisit New Wave styles.

I have compiled a handful of New Wave favorites below. Take a few minutes to revisit the era, and vote on your favorite song to the right. Id love to hear your thoughts, or recommendations for other killer songs.

1 comment: